Tending to your kitchen is a cornerstone of successful and tasty cooking. While your casseroles are clean and knives are sharp, there is nothing that can stop you from preparing the food you and your family deserve. To take care of the latter, there are various means that have been proven by time and experts. By why use an old, manual sharpener if you can get yourself a new, electric one?
The best electric knife sharpener today is Grocery Art 3-in-1 Sharpening Machine. It’s extremely convenient to use, requires little maintenance, and has a lot of functions that can prove most useful in the kitchen. When utilized properly, the machine can turn your knife sharpening into a mere routine, not a time-consuming duty.
‘Be careful with kitchen knives’ is the first rule of any good cook, but ‘Keep them sharp’ is the second one. And today, I’ve prepared a set of reviews that can help you find the one for you. Moreover, there is a short ‘How to’ section down below so that you will have a better hang of how to use these machines. Let’s get it started!
Top Picks of the Greatest Electric Knife Sharpeners for Kitchen and Cooking
If you’re looking for the best electric knife sharpener for home use, then your options are truly boundless. Here, you can get a little whimsy and choose between the sizes, shapes, features, and even core materials. A good sharpener is a product that will last longer and do its part efficiently and promptly.
However, regardless of how confusing the choice might be, you shouldn’t worry too much. Take a look at the following options and use my expertise to determine which device suits you best. Also, consider the upsides and downsides included below to win in the long run.
1. Grocery Art Knife Sharpener Electric 3-in-1 Machine — Best Electric Knife Sharpener for Versatility
The appliance is made of hard plastic, which is great for being stain-free and germ-repelling. It’s got 6 by 6 inches in diameter to ensure comfort. Put it on the kitchen counter or keep it in a drawer, the product won’t take up much space and will always be on hand when you need it. With a weight of less than 1.5lbs, it’s extremely easy to carry, and it causes no unnecessary pressure on the counter or table or damages surfaces.
When it comes to functions, the appliance is an all-purpose compact electric knife sharpener. It can be used for honing regular kitchen knives, as well as scissors, and even screwdrivers. There is a special groove for each type of utility so that you don’t have to wait to start sharpening another one; it can be done simultaneously. Simply plug it in and press the ON/OFF button to initiate honing. Hold your object firmly without any sudden moves.
- 3 modes for different utilities;
- Sturdy construction;
- Very susceptible to water.
2. EdgeKeeper Electric Knife Sharpener — Compact Electric Knife Sharpener for Stability
The dimensions are rather minute. They come to around 8.3 inches in length and 4 inches in width. It provides the appliance with portability so that it fits your kitchen space nicely. The outer construction is made of polypropylenes. The material is extremely scuff-resistant, which is great since the knives you sharpen tend to slip around a bit. Moreover, the bottom is equipped with anti-slippery inserts that keep the machine steady and prevent any wobbling.
If you have a set of professional knives, for instance, Global knives, the appliance will cope well regardless of how bulky they are. There is a nice magnet-infused insert inside the sharpener. Each time you put in a knife, it gravitates towards the insert for a better grip. To clean the magnet, flip the appliance over and unlock it from underneath. Also, you can choose the angle at which you like to have your knife honed. Pick one of the slots and simply draw the knife backward until you see a difference in the sharpness.
- SHARPEN IN THE CONVENIENCE OF YOUR HOME: This two stage sharpener quickly and easily sharpens almost any fine edge blade for professional results in the...
- SHARPEN AT THE PERFECT ANGLE: The slot angles position the knife at the ideal sharpening angle for perfect results every time
- EASY TO CLEAN & LIMITS MESS: A removable magnet catches all metal shavings for easy maintenance and cleaning
- 4 slots for a better angle;
- The firmness of stand;
- Effortless cleaning;
- Magnet-infused insert.
- Uncomfortable for honing 2 or 3 knives at once.
3. Presto 08800 EverSharp Electric Sharpener — Good electric Knife Sharpener for Professional Honing
This utility is designed to serve as a professional sharpener for restaurants where the knives, like Chinese knives, Chef knives, etc. are required to be razor-sharp. It has a sturdy plastic frame, which is well-fixed on a 120-V motor.
It weighs less than 3 lbs and is around 10 inches in diameter. However, these dimensions don’t limit the sharpener’s location in the kitchen since it fits nicely in a standard-sized kitchen cabinet. When activated, the motor produces sufficient revolutions that increase the speed and maintain stable sharpening. To hone an old knife, use the primary mode that will grind rust or scuffs off the blade. If you need a knife for precision, initiate the secondary mode to have a refined blade within seconds.
- Sharpen kitchen and sport knives to a razor-sharp edge fast and economically.
- Easy 2-stage sharpening system for professional results at home on most any non-serrated blade.
- Sapphirite sharpening wheels grind a precisely angled edge then fine hone and polish for a razor-sharp edge.
- Accelerated RPM;
- Two-mode honing for fine and standard sharpness;
- Anti-slippery coating for steadiness;
- Lightweight and easy to carry.
- A little bulky.
4. Smith’s 50005 Edge Pro Compact Electric Sharpener — Best Electric Knife Sharpener for Kitchen Knives When Outdoorsstone inside can deal with even the oldest and dullest knife that you can find in the back of your drawer.
If you decide to take it along on family trips, you’ll see how easy-to-use the product is. It weighs less than 1.5 pounds and can be compactly stored in the trunk of a car or even a backpack. Though it’s electric, the appliance will work with any 120-V outlet or power source, which is great for travel.
There are three comfortable slots for grinding knives. Each of them has a specific inclination to find the perfect angle for your knife’s sharpness. They are infused with special ceramic inserts that polish the knife, as well as hone it. Make sure to conduct regular cleaning since food and dirt particles may get stuck in the machine, decreasing its cutting capacity and slowing it down.
- ELECTRIC SHARPENER – Smith’s Edge Pro Compact Electric Knife Sharpener has electric sharpening wheels made from a bonded synthetic abrasive that...
- MANUAL SHARPENER –The manual sharpening slot is composed of crossed ceramic rods for cleaning up rough edges, maintaining sharp knives, and putting a...
- NON-DAMAGING – The material used on the electric wheels guarantees longer wheel life, uniform cutting & minimum heat build-up, so it won’t damage or...
- Portable and light;
- Tough insides;
- Provides fining and honing;
- Suitable for both in-kitchen and outdoor use.
- Demands regular cleaning.
Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener for small hunting knives and pocket knives to keep them honed at any time. It comes in handy when there is no electricity around, and you need to hone your survival kit knife and sharpen a screwdriver for emergencies.
5. Kyocerca Advanced Ceramic Electric Diamond Sharpener — Best Electric Knife Sharpener Without Power Input
The inner grinding stone is coated with diamond particles to let it go through even the toughest steel blades. This product is a good electric knife sharpener for fragile blades because it’s equipped with a nice holder. It fixes the blade firmly, not letting it move when being processed. This ensures accuracy, no scuffing or chipping.
Moreover, there is a nice in-built handle on the left so that you place your hand on it for better balance and to prevent jumping or unnecessary movement. Don’t worry about shaking or jumping; the construction keeps the appliance steady on whatever surface it’s placed. It processes knives completely automatically with little to no human interaction.
- Diamond Grinding Stone #600 Grade: Electric powered diamond grinding stone can take up to .5mm off blade
- Knife Guide Slot: To keep knife at a fixed angle, very user-friendly and safe
- Assist Roller: To prevent too much sharpening and controls even pressure
- Great handle for stability;
- Diamond-infused coating;
- Tough plastic construction;
- You have to buy batteries separately.
6. DILUSSO Multifunction Electric Knife Sharpener — Best Electric Knife Sharpener for Various Blades
This minute machine is only 7 inches long and can be placed anywhere in the kitchen. Easy to use and very safe when activated, the appliance is run on batteries. Consequently, you can sharpen knives even with your lights off or somewhere outside the house. Use the detachable collecting tray to prevent a mess on your kitchen surface.
By pressing the start button, all the slots are activated and can be used at the same time without overheating the motor. Also, the appliance is powerful enough to deal with rust and dirt.
- Automatic Knife Sharpener Electric：Suitable for chef knives, Stainless steel knife, bread knives,paring knives, filet knives, cheese knives, cleavers,
- Small Electric Knife Sharpener：Pocket knife sharpener electric for easy storage
- Note: The product is not suitable for ceramic knives, porcelain knives, grinding or scissors
- Safe and user-friendly;
- Nice light indicator;
- Takes seconds for honing.
- The tray is feeble.
Buyer’s Guide: How to Grind and How Not to Grind
Apart from buying an appliance, it’s quite essential to know how to use it so that there are no unnecessary complications. Though each machine has its peculiarities, all of them work in a certain way that is rather universal. By following simple steps, you can ensure the efficiency of sharpening, prevent knives from breaking down untimely, as well as remember the safe use of knives in the kitchen.
How to use an electric knife sharpener?
- Plug the appliance in and make sure there is nothing in the slots. Also, ensure that the utility is completely dry. It’s advised to let a sharpener dry for around 40 minutes before activating it again.
- Insert the blade in a groove. Choose a slot that is suitable for your knife type. If there are many of them, turn to the instruction booklet to find the right one because otherwise, you may damage the blade.
- When the machine is on, move the blade forward and backward, keeping it slightly tilted. This will give your blade a proper angle to provide additional sharpness and prevent fast dullness. A good way to do it well is to listen to the grinding sound. The louder it becomes, the thinner your blade will be, thus becoming more honed.
- Swing the blade a couple of times. Such sharpeners don’t usually require more than 5 swings since the grinding stone has a lot of RPM, which increases the sharpening speed. Also, you can alter the shape and angle of your current blade by tilting it more to the side.
- If your appliance has an additional slot for refining, then use it. It will polish the blade so that there are no scuffs or scratches and make it as good as new. In case your machine doesn’t have one, you might want to get an extra stone to perfect your sharpening.
- Apply some water or wet wipes to moisturize. Interestingly, the faster you wet your blade, the longer it can hold its sharpness. Also, applying some water to the blade is great for getting rid of various deficiencies that could form on the blade while grinding.
How to clean an electric sharpener?
If your appliance works well, then there is no need for any major cleaning. All you need to do is keep it neat and tidy after each use. In this case, you can:
- Plug it out and make sure the grinding stones have cooled down./Remove the batteries.
- Unlock the bottom waste container if there is one. Make sure not to apply any additional pressure to the cap so that you don’t break it.
- Apply a simple dry brush to the stones either from outside or open up the machine to have a better reach to the parts. Get rid of the dust that has collected around the stones. Make sure there are no food particles stuck in the corner or around the motor. They can harm the motor and cause blackouts should they get inside.
Tips for an electric sharpener maintenance
- Avoid using water. Though some products guarantee high water resistance, there are actually a few of them that aren’t going to be damaged by wetness. You can apply wet wipes to the stones but not to the motor. Either way, leave the machine open to let it dry up completely for at least 40 minutes before assembling again.
- Use different slots for different knives. Even the best electric knife sharpener for kitchen knives has its application guidelines. For instance, if you have round, rectangular, and straight knife slots, make sure to use them accordingly. Otherwise, you can damage your blade for good.
- Stay attentive. Some electric sharpeners can be so powerful that they easily grind off 5 mm of pure steel in seconds. Listen to the grinding sounds and focus on the grip; they can tell you a lot.
Grind It for Better Use, Not for Perfection
All in all, there is a great range of products that become indispensable for the kitchen at some point. They have different functions, durability, and peculiarities of use. All of these factors influence not only how to use an electric sharpener but also how to use a Chef’s Knife or any other kind of knife properly. Choose a larger appliance if you’re sure that you will use it only in the kitchen.
Or, you may as well choose more compact options, allowing for portability in case you take them on a trip. Moreover, pay attention to the bottom of your probable sharpener. You need a stable one that will be safe to use on any surface without running the risk of accidents.
Anyway, your options aren’t limited to a single manufacturer but come in all shapes and varieties. I hope you’ve found this article useful and you have already made up your mind. What kind of sharpeners have you had before? Have you ever encountered any problem with the grinding stone going a bit off? Tell me more about your experience; I’d love to hear it!