Sometimes, food trucks in the hustle and bustle of modern cities are like lifeboats. Hot, flavoured food may bring you pure happiness, but what can make you more happy than a pizza!
If you are planning to install a pizza oven in your food truck, pay attention to its type, size, weight, and basic installation requirements. Among all the types, I recommend to focused on wood, gas, and electric fired commercial pizza ovens.
The privilege of wood fired pizza oven for trailer is a high temperature – more than 800 °F makes crispy boards in few minutes. Despite the fact that fire cooking was discovered around 250,000 BC, you can still surprise the customers with natural way of cooking.
A gas oven won’t bring you authentic aromas, but it keeps you safe with open fire. It heats very fast thanks to a consistent, easily controlled flame.
If you are looking for something small but stylish, take an electric oven. It is portable, usable, and affordable.
Organizing a truck’s kitchen, decide whether you want to cook pizza inside or near it on a special movable stand. Choose a place separated from flammable things. Take care of the truck’s ventilation system: check if it is close enough to an oven and powerful enough for proper air-circulation.
Top 6 Pizza Ovens for Food Trucks
1. Wood Fired Pizza Oven for Trailers – Chicago Brick Oven CBO-500
This commercial pizza oven combines a traditional way of cooking with modern style. An igloo-shaped dome, covered with stainless steel fibes, is constructed with refractory cement. Its heat resistance is more than 1000 °F, which helps to cook 4 pizzas in a row, without adding extra firewood.
The delivery kit includes all essential tools for starting baking: an infrared thermometer, a cleaning brush, and a pizza peel. Use an infrared thermometer between pizza baking intervals to check whether you need to add more firewood. Then clean a core center from the dust and charcoals with the cleaning brush, push all charred logs to the back wall and a bit of them – to side walls (make a semi-circle with logs). When the core center is clean and prepared, start to bake.
No products found.
- cooking surface is 27 x 22 inches;
- weights 550 pounds;
- the unique heating system FlameRoll pulls the flame horizontally across the top of the dome and then vertically back down the side;
- you can choose the color of oven: copper or silver vein.
- preheats in 45 minutes;
The installation process may take some time. The components for a CBO-500 installation come separately, but with a detailed instructions. If you follow the instruction strictly, you can build the oven in a day. Mind that you will need minimum 24-inch pipe section, e.g. Class A DuraTech 6″ Double Wall Pipe that you can buy in any building or hearth manufacturer. Also, I recommend to build a set platform before the oven’s delivery.
Chicago Brick Oven company offers accessories for easy baking. I advise you to pay attention to these practical products:
- An ash hook. A 50 inches wooden handle with a 2.5 inches stainless steel hook is perfect for moving wood and cleaning an oven.
- Gloves from cowhide leather. A pair of gloves of one size (16 inches) fits both men and women. Its length helps to protect your arms perfectly. Fireproof materials are resistant up to 932 °F.
- A pizza rack. The 11-tier pizza rack helps to organize working and shopping areas efficiently. Rods are made of chrome-plated steel; therefore, each shelf can hold up to 6 pounds.
2. Brick Oven Pizza for Truck – Traditional Brick Pizzaioli Wood Fire Oven
This traditional brick oven attracts attention not only with pizza dense flavor, but also with its authentic design. It creates true Mediterranean style in a truck. These ovens are handmade by proficient masters from a town north of Lisbon, Portugal. A terracotta brick surface and an iron zinc-plated door are peculiar features of Authentic Pizza Ovens products. The dimensions of Pizzaioli are not strictly determined, because of the uniqueness of every oven.
Like any wood fire oven, Pizzaioli needs almost an hour for preheating. Each oven package includes: an iron door, a ceramic Portuguese baking dish, a thermometer (0 – 932°F), and a special anti cracking patch kit – Ultra Fire.
- the cooking surface is 39 x 39 inches;
- triple-insulated covers – during cooking, the outside of the oven will stay cool, while the inside will be hot;
- fast cooking time – a pizza is baked in 90 seconds;
- can bake two 12” pizzas at a time;
- free shipping within the Continental US.
- the weight is more than 1000 pounds;
- the preheating time is around an hour;
- the price is considerably high.
Some installation tips:
- Build a platform from any material that can carry 1000-1250 pounds or order an oven stand (if you order it together with the oven, you’ll get a free shipping).
- Lift the oven on the platform with a heavy-duty chain through the eyelets on the oven’s corners. Due to the weight of the oven, you may need to use an engine hoist, a cherry picker or a fork lift for proper positioning. After the installation, you can cut off the steel eyelets if you won’t move the oven soon.
- Dry up the oven to remove the moisture in the mortar. Start a small fire 5 days in a row and let it burn throughout the day (4-5 hours) maintaining the maximum temperature a bit higher each day: day 1 – 140 °F, day 2 – 215 °F, day 3 – 300 °F, day 4 – 400 °F, day 5 – 480 °F. Close the oven door each night, this will keep in the heat and protect the moisture from getting inside until the curing process is complete.
- After curing, you can apply stucco over the cinderblock, paint, tile or leave as it is – in the form of the white-domed oven to match your home or design specifications.
To complete the oven’s kit, you may need these accessories:
- A Chimney Pipe. All Authentic Pizza Oven Models are perfect for the oven. Their length is 38 inches, so you may cut off some inches if needed.
- A Chimney Cap. To prevent water and flies from getting in the oven.
- Pizza bubble popper and turner. This 39 inches device will protect your hands, turn a pizza safely, and control its’ borders.
3. Outdoor Commercial Pizza Oven – High-Quality Gas Oven by Summerset “The Oven”
Summerset stainless steel construction gives their customers options to choose the ideal features. Therefore, you may select:
- fuel – Liquid Propane or Natural Gas;
- size – Freestanding Oven with extra side tables and a convenient storage drawer, Build in or a Countertop version.
The Oven is better for outside use, e.g., you may put it next to your track and take as a movable oven to a garden party. However, you can put it inside the trailer only after the consultation with your fire control service. Follow the local rules for gas using and ventilation system standards when you are organising the working area.
- 3 cooking racks;
- a safe pizza stone;
- the cooking area is good for pizzas up to 16 inches in diameter;
- a front-view window with temperature gauge.
- the price depends on the chosen features;
- it’s heavy. The weight is 101 pounds.
A construction of “the Oven” reminds of ready-to-assemble furniture. All oven’s details are in a delivery kit. Take a screwdriver and a wrench, read attentively the oven manual and you will set the oven in a few hours. The main rule for this oven is to build it on an ideally flat platform. It will help to keep the gas tank in the vertical position to prevent gas leaking.
“The Oven” is made for comfort use, but you may still need the following accessories:
- Gas timer. This one-hour timer controls the emergency shutoff.
- Beverage & Prep Station. The station from Summerset is in the same modern style as The Oven. Also, LED illumination will decorate your track.
4. Mobile Pizza Oven – Camp Chef Italia Artisan Pizza Oven
The Camp Chef Oven is a unique and innovative oven that allows you to take your baking with you wherever you go. The compact design resembles a wood fired pizza oven for truck and helps to imitate the artistic performance of a brick oven baking. The Camp Chef Oven is so easy to move, that you will probably take it everywhere with you.
Camp Chef Oven is a gas oven. It is used only with a standard bulk Liquid Propane tank. I strongly advise you to perform gas leak tests regularly and outside.
One of the main privileges of the oven is a ceramic pizza stone. The stone is fragile; therefore, use gloves when handling it and try not to drop it. Never use a damaged stone.
- its maximum temperature is upwards of 700° F;
- an affordable price;
- the cooking surface is 13.25 x 20 inches;
- a removable front door doesn’t close tight;
- a regulator tends to get broken easily.
Camp Chef has been making cooking equipment for over 25 years. Thanks to their solid experience in the field, you can order different accessories to the oven:
- Pizza Accessories Kit. The kit includes 2 pizza peels, a pizza spatula, and a 14 inches rocking pizza cutter.
- Oven Patio Cover. The 600 Denier material keeps the oven safe from physical damage.
- The Scraper. This 25 inches cleaning tool is perfect for a pizza stone.
- Patio Cart. An ideal stand for the Italia Artisan Pizza Oven consists of a large main surface, a covered part for a propane tank, side shelves for food and tools.
5. One of the Best Catering Pizza Ovens – Oster French Convection Countertop
It’s a perfect helper if a pizza is not the only dish in your menu. This device defrosts, dehydrates, warms, bakes, broils, toasts, and, of course, it makes pizza. You can prepare two 16 inches pizzas at once on two racks. However, I recommend not to mix vegan and meat pizzas in order to keep their original aroma. A delivery kit includes an oven, a removable crumb tray, 2 racks, and a durable baking pan.
- easy to use;
- turbo Convection technology;
- digital control;
- 90-minute timer;
- uses up to 50% less energy than an ordinary convection oven;
- the price is affordable.
- warms up. Only handles stay cool;
- it is hard to remove oily fingerprints and water marks from the stainless steel surface.
The advantage of the Oster French Oven is the simplicity in installation. Just plug it into a 120 Volt AC electrical outlet, and it’s ready to use. Although, don’t forget to wash the removable parts before using.
A digital display with control buttons is pretty clear. Every button stands for separate function, so even if you lose the manual, you won’t be confused.
Oster brand provides such accessories to this item:
- Creative recipe book. This countertop oven recipe book contains 104 recipes and tips for better cooking.
- Oster cookie sheet. Despite the title, this sheet is ideal for baking large pizzas.
6. Commercial Pizza Oven – KITMA 26L Countertop Convection Oven
KITMA 26L is a multifunction oven for baking, broiling, toasting, keeping food warm, etc.It a device by Kitma company that specializes on commercial kitchen equipment. Their gadgets are made from high-quality selected materials – stainless steel and double pane tempered glass.
This convection oven is perfect for an open kitchen. Not only a chef or a pizza maker can enjoy the magic of baking, but your customers will also appreciate the opportunity to watch the process through the glass window. With the oven, you will receive 3 racks, a domestic sheet, a fan, and an interior light.
- easy to clean;
- the maximum temperature is 500° F;
- 120-minute bake timer;
- large capacity;
- commercial oven.
As for the setting process, it is easy to install KITMA 26L. This stainless steel oven comes as a complete item. As any convection equipment, it must be placed on a sturdy table next to a power outlet. Plug the oven in and start it with two dials that control the temperature and time. Pay attention to the convection heating – an inbuilt fan and a specially designed diffuse circulate the hot air in the oven.
To complete your food truck, think about:
- Pizza Prep Table. A refrigerated pizza prep table keeps pizza’s ingredients fresh, adds more space. Moreover, the shelves are comfortable to complete all the previous production.
The Magical Power of Pizza
Have you ever inhaled a flavor of just prepared pizza? I mean really inhale, with all your lung volume, letting aromas of Italian seasonings flow into every cell of your body. And then you bite a warm, cheesy, delicate slice, that fills you up with carnival of tastes. I adore that magic. It brings me back to Italy, no matter where I am. I know that a good pizza oven may create such wonders. You just need to choose the type of pizza oven – electric, gas-fired or wood-fired, which is best for you.
My choice of best-of-breed in each type is based on the references to Italy. As for me, the brick wood-fired Pizzaioli is the best. The Camp Chef Oven is an Italian star in the gas-fired ovens sector. And the Oster French Oven attracts as a fashionable boutique in Milan. Nevertheless, don’t forget the privileges of each oven: the Chicago Brick Oven is the most compact in its class, the Summerset Oven is perfect for outdoor stand, the KITMA 26L is easy to clean. Focus on your needs, and you’ll choose the best option then.
Have you already tried any of pizza ovens for food trucks described in the article? Share your experience, please.