Best Pizza Stones – How-to Guide on Choosing a Pizza Stone
My name is Edward, and I am a big fan of pizza. The day is past when I wondered: “pizza stones – how do I use them?” I have used a lot of pizza-making tools previously, but none worked the way a pizza stone works. I’ve been using a grill oven since I was 21, and from that time understood what important role pizza stones play. It has been a long journey to be able to select the right tool. From my vast cooking experience, I know that one should utilize the best tools to get the tastiest products.
It’s also important to understand the different between a pizza screen and a pizza stone. Honestly, a screen might be what you actually need! If you do need a stone, below you can see my top 7 pizza stones that I have tried myself or have seen in use in reputable pizza places. If you have been looking for reviews for good tools for making pizza, here you are.
7 Top-Rated Pizza Stones Reviews to Note
I have prepared the following reviews on the seven top-rated pizza stones to assist in taking your baking skills to the next level. Check them out and rest assured that your pizza delicacy will stay unmatched.
1. Old Stone Oven Rectangular Pizza Stone – One of the Most Wide-Spread Pizza Oven Stones
Looking for the best tool to use on your oven or grill? This is a tool you do not want to miss. The cost perfectly befits the quality. Moreover, you can use it not only for pizza but for bread baking or even when cooking vegetables. It is a one-in-all solution to your cooking problems. There is a detailed instruction that comes with the product on how to make pastries on this pizza stone.
The stones measure 14 by 16 inches, making them ideal for restaurant-size pizzas. They are perfectly crafted pizza oven stones made of high-quality clay. The clay is free of carcinogenic heavy metals. Clay products are durable and able to withstand high heat exposure. Conveyed with the item are an aluminum peel and a pizza cutter.
When using the product, heat it to close to 500 degrees. Remember that the heating degrees should go handy with the instructions on your recipe. The claystone assimilates and distributes heat uniformly. This ensures every part of your pizza is well-cooked without burns.
When cleaning the stone, let it first cool down, and use it again only after it has completely dried. Due to the high heat exposure, the piece might have some slight color change, but that does not affect your baking. It is limited to use for items with sizeable fat content since it is clay-made. It tends to absorb the fat, leading to the release of smoke and a bad odor.
All in all, with the quality and the cost of this item, I see no reason why you should not equip yourself with one. I have been using this product a few years ago and find it quite practical. Here are the good and bad points I find about it.
- Made of true cordierite which has passed US FDA and German food Code LFGB and RoHS compliances
- Heat safe up to 2000 degrees Fahrenheit with no odor and excellent thermal shock resistance
- Gives you the same crispy crust as pizzas baked in brick lined commercial ovens. Recommended Use-Residential
- Doesn’t crack
- Endures extremely high heat exposure
- Affordable cost
- Uniform heat distribution
- Not suitable for large fat content foods
- May have an unpleasant smell
2. Pizza Stone for Best Crispy Crust Pizza – Among the Best Large Pizza Stones
This pizza stone meets all the stipulated food safety standards. The product is 16 inches in diameter, so its size is ideal for large pizzas. Let’s have a clear look at the features that make these products the best pizza stones for a grill.
The item is made of high-quality thermite. This is a proven material that can endure extremely high degrees of heat. The material highly protects your pizza from the enormous temperatures of the grill with its superb thermal retention abilities. It is also able to transmit heat uniformly to all parts of your pizza to ensure that you no longer end up with burnt and semi-cooked pizzas.
The moisture absorption abilities of the stone are outstanding. They ensure you get the crispiest pizza crusts for a top-level delicacy. The temperatures remove any moisture on the product, and hence no bad odor is released during cooking.
When I ordered this piece my time, it was delivered in a single package without any crack on it. The stone is accompanied by:
- A scrapper for simplified cleaning
- A user manual with upkeep procedures
- A recipe with a variety of delicacy to prepare
I first used the product as an amateur, but it gave me the feeling of a pro. I have used it on quite a wide variety of delicacies and never experienced smoking or bad odor. The material used doesn’t absorb fat and thus, ensures durability. From its making to the high heat-withstanding ability, I can affirm that the product is built to live.
I would profoundly recommend you to buy and start using this high-quality pizza stone. From personal experience, I can say that you won’t regret the choice you made on this. Upgrade and take your baking skills to an enormous level.
- Crispy Crust: Make perfect restaurant-quality pizzas at home using our 5/8th inch thick (0.625 inches) Thermarite pizza stone
- Superior Durability and Heat Retention: Thermarite is durable, strong, and has superior thermal shock ability making our stone safe for both the grill and...
- Extreme Versatility: CastElegance Pizza Stones are oderless and food safe; great for both indoor and outdoor cooking, charcoal and gas grilling; suitable...
Here some advantages and disadvantages of this pizza stone.
- Extremely durable
- Extremely high thermal transmittance
- High ability to absorb moisture
- No odor produced
- Easy to clean
- A bit expensive
3. Cuisinart CPS-445 Pizza Grilling Set – If You Have Been Looking for Pizza Stones for Grills
This product is among the cheapest stones available in the market. It comes with a pizza peel and cutter. It is smaller in size compared to the previously reviewed pizza stones. The item is, however, ideal to use at home and the low cost gets your back in making the purchase.
It is a lightweight pizza stone weighing 5 pounds. It is made of high-quality non-staining steel. The pizza peel is made of aluminum and is cool to fold for easy storage. It has soft finishes that repel any pizza part from sticking on the surface and a long-coated handle protecting you from burns. It can endure high heat exposures, thus being able to absorb all moisture present in your pizza. In return, this produces a crispy pizza for a tastier delicacy.
I have used the item at home for quite a while, and I can assure you that it is durable. I used it on almost everything I baked, and apart from a few challenges when the humidity was extremely high, everything else worked good.
However, there was also a small problem with pizza sticking on the stone. To prevent sticking, make sure you spin your pizza a bit after the formation of a little crust. You can do this severally until the pizza is entirely rotated. Also, the cutter broke down after several uses, and I urge the manufacturer to improve on its quality.
The piece also gets heated super-fast, and it takes 10 minutes to reach over 500 degrees. It is made of steel, and that might be a slight reason for a faint odor emanating from the high exposure to heat.
Anyway, considering the price of the pizza stone, I highly recommend it. In case you want a cookery tool for some simple baking, consider this item. But those who want a high-quality stone for frequent or commercial cooking, then you need to add some money and purchase a better product. Here are the pros and cons highlighted.
- ESSENTIAL PIZZA TOOLS: Set includes 13" Pizza Stone; Folding Pizza Peel and Pizza Cutter
- PIZZA PEEL: Folding handle stainless pizza peel stores easily
- PIZZA WHEEL: The pizza wheel cutter easily slices through pies for quick cutting
- Can withstand high temperatures
- Can be used to bake a variety of items
- Has a faint odor emanating
- Not the best quality
4. Emile Henry Made In France Flame Top Pizza Stone – Time-Proven Pizza Stones for Ovens
This product is made of pure clay. It is sturdy and suitable for use in grills. It is tested for quality, and the ten-year warranty proofs the same. The product can endure temperatures up to 900 degrees F, thus protecting your pizza from extreme heat. The material used ensures easy heat absorption and transmittance for a fully cooked pizza. It is ideal to use on bread and other baking products.
It is glazed on the surface for protection against scratches when cutting your pizza. The surface is effortless to clean with soap and water. There are no complicated procedures to follow when using the product. You only need first to heat it to around 500 degrees. The handles make it easy to grasp and put into the stove. With no discoloration or staining effects, this ensures you get the best pizza stones for ovens.
I have used the piece for one and a half years. Unfortunately, one time, I was in a rush to remove it from the cabin, and it fell and broke. I ordered the same new piece as I really liked how this pizza stone worked. With this one, I have been extra careful when handling it, and it worked for me for a really long time.
I have never experienced half-baked pizzas since my purchase. What is more, the smooth finishes on the surface make cheese removing exceptional. So, if you want a cooking tool to bring out a well-cooked crispy pizza, look no more. With this product, you can get the best value for your money with an item provided with a ten-year warranty. Handle it with care and rest guaranteed you have the best companion in your baking.
- MADE IN FRANCE. Made of all natural materials and manufactured using Emile Henry's proprietary Flame technology.
- DESIGNED TO USE IN THE OVEN or ON A BBQ GRILL. Safe to use on gas, charcoal and natural wood grills up to 900 degrees F; Can be used in all types of ovens...
- GLAZED PIZZA STONE IS DURABLE AND SCRATCH RESISANT. Cut directly on the glazed pizza stone without damaging or scratching the surface. Micro-crazed glaze...
Here are the advantages and disadvantages of this product for you to consider.
- Extremely high heat resistant
- Relatively expensive
5. Heritage Black Ceramic Pizza Stone and Pizza Cutter Wheel – Contender for the Best Pizza Stones for Oven
This item can become a lifetime solution to your baking issues. It is made of ceramic to endure the highest heat degrees. I want to note that this product comes as one of the top-rated pizza stones in the market. The cost befits the class, and since it is made to live for as long as you use it, it is fair to say quality exceeds the value.
The item is highly durable. During manufacturing, ceramic goods are exposed to high heat, and this drives away any moisture present in the product. Moisture content causes a bad odor and smoking when you heat a product. The item has hence been protected from releasing the bad smell for a tastier pizza. I have had one for a year, and I can say that it is a perfect pizza stone for the oven.
The item heats up to twice as fast as other products, ensuring that you prepare and bake your pizza in a flash. Remember not to clean it until it is completely cool. Also, use it only when it is dry to prevent moisture on your pizza. Its excellent moisture absorbency ensures you get a crispy and brown pizza, just as you like it.
If you happen to leave your pizza for a while and it burns, the stone will not stain as a result. Cleaning it will still be in a whiz. Since baking with this pizza stone takes a flash, I see no reason why you shouldn’t wait and have your pizza ready while taking over other activities. Forget about the smoking stones; this is prepared ideally for pizza and dough baking.
Whether you want it for commercial or home use, I can assure you that the pizza baked will exceedingly meet your expectations. I want to share some tips that would prevent it from breaking. Putting the item in a hot oven might lead to cracking. Ensure you place it in a cold oven and start heating. It’s the only principle to follow.
I profoundly recommend you to buy this model. It proved to be one of the most reliable pizza stones. Here are the advantages and the only disadvantage that comes with this product.
- -Fast Food: These pizza stones for oven use pre-heat twice as fast as other stones, thoroughly cooking homemade pizzas in speedier baking times and...
- -Minimise Mess: Our superior baking stone is grease and burn resistant, coated in a non-stick glaze that prevents dough from fusing to the base and...
- -Durable: Our pizza stone for oven use is cast from black ceramic and protected by a heat resistant coating. This layer shields the surface from very high...
- Easily affordable
- High heat endurance
- No pizza sticking
- Needs careful handling to prevent cracking
6. Nerdchef Steel Stone High-Performance Baking Surface for Pizza 50″ – If You Need Pizza Grill Stones
There are many reasons why you should consider buying these steel-made pizza stones. The products are ideal for a mass of applications. Never get limited on whatever you want to cook. Have the best cooking tool with you and enjoy a taste of unlimited delicacies.
Among the many compelling reasons that made me choose this product are:
- Superconductivity. The item can experience extreme heat conductivity up to 20 times by the quantity managed by ceramic products.
- Long life. Steel-made products are protected from staining and breaking. Unlike clay and ceramic products, the reason for handling steel pizza stone is for real protection against burns.
- Uniform heat transmittance. With this product, each part of your pizza is well-cooked without partial burns. You enjoy the crusts that you have always been seeking.
- The product can withstand high degrees of heat, thus ensuring the moisture content in the meal you are preparing is well-absorbed.
There is no bad smell or smoking since the item does not absorb any fat. Cleaning the item is super-fast. Moreover, you will enjoy the speed at which cooking happens when using this product. The texture of the surface is exceptionally smooth, and the product requires seasoning with oil.
Enjoy a lifetime service when using the product. Extreme usage will lead to the development of a darker surface. That’s the point where cleaning and seasoning are highly required. Store the product in a dry place to avoid rusting. You can use some steel wool for cleaning in case burnt traces or rusting occurs.
I highly recommend that you buy the item without hesitating. It is proved to give the best value for your money. Here are the pros and cons I have seen for this pizza stone.
- 20x higher conductivity than ceramic baking stones.
- Gorgeous crusts, better blistering, and faster cook times.
- Low-friction surface: textured, sanded smooth, seasoned with flaxseed oil.
- High quality
- Fast cooking
- Superb conductivity
- Extremely expensive
7. Pizzacraft Perfect Pizza Grilling Stone PC0120 – If You Need a Grill and Oven Pizza Stone
Firstly, I want to note that it is one of the most lightweight products in this review. Although it is conveyed in the form of two pizza stones that interlock each other! In case you are tired of having your pizza burnt before the topping gets ready, this is the product to go for. The cost is easily affordable, making it ideal to use at home.
The two surfaces tend to interlock and cap heated air in between leading to a uniform heat distribution on the upper side of the pizza. The outcome is a well-cooked pizza with no burns or semi-cooked patches. The size is ideal to use in an oven. Its ability to endure high heat degrees makes it perfect for its intended use in grills.
I prepared a pizza with the product immediately after purchase, and I got a crispy pizza in less than seven minutes. The only thing this item lacks is a handle because it is not simple to lift it off the ground.
The 14 inches in diameter is perfect for a well-sized pizza. Make sure to handle this pizza stone with care to avoid unnecessary breakages. Upkeep is simplified as it does not require seasoning. Ensure you first preheat the piece before placing your pizza to prevent sticking.
I would profoundly recommend you use the piece as it will give a service exceeding its value. Check out some good and bad about it.
- Promotes Even Baking -- No More Hot Spots
- Two Interlocking Cordierite Pizza Stones
- Thermal Shock Resistant
- No seasoning required
- Ideal for use in grill and oven
- Easy to break
- Doesn’t have a handle
|Old Stone Oven Rectangular Pizza Stone||Pizza Stone for Best Crispy Crust Pizza, The Only Stoneware with Thermarite||Cuisinart CPS-445 Pizza Grilling Set||Emile Henry Made in France Flame Top Pizza Stone, Black|
|Product Dimensions: 16 x 14 x 0.8 inches||Product Dimensions: 18.6 x 17.9 x 2.5 inches||Product Dimensions: 13 x 2 x 13 inches||Product Dimensions: 16.5 x 14 x 2 inches|
|Item Weight: 10 pounds||Item Weight: 8.3 pounds||Item Weight: 5.7 pounds||Item Weight: 5.73 pounds|
|Shipping Weight: 11.75 pounds||Shipping Weight: 8.3 pounds||Shipping Weight: 6.65 pounds||Shipping Weight: 8.5 pounds|
|Manufacturer: Honey-Can-Do||Manufacturer: Cast Elegance||Manufacturer: The Fulham Group||Manufacturer: Emile Henry|
|Heritage Black Ceramic Pizza Stone and Pizza Cutter||NerdChef Steel Stone - High-Performance Baking Surface for Pizza||Pizzacraft Perfect Pizza Grilling Stone|
|Product Dimensions: 15.8 x 15.8 x 2.5 inches||Product Dimensions: 14.2 x 16 x 0.5 inches||Product Dimensions: 14 x 14 x 0.8 inches|
|Item Weight: 3.15 pounds||Item Weight: 32 pounds||Item Weight: 7.68 pounds|
|Shipping Weight: 6.22 pounds||Shipping Weight: 32.5 pounds||Shipping Weight: 8.91 pounds|
|Manufacturer: Heritage||Manufacturer: NerdChef||Manufacturer: Charcoal Companion|
Quick Recap – Finding the Best Pizza Stone for Your Cooking
As I get to the end of my detailed best pizza stones review, I would like to point out some important features to consider when making your purchase:
- Quality. You need the best product to last you a lifetime. It is a combination of the highest quality and the lowest price that defines a good purchase. Always strive for the best bargain.
- Intended use. If you want a pizza stone for home use, you can select a smaller-sized and a less costly one. If you need one for commercial use, then go for a high-quality and large size. Ensure you buy multi-purpose pizza stones for oven and grill use if you need both. That way, you won’t be limited on where to cook with the selected item.
From the overview, you can effortlessly select a product that matches your preference. Select a tool that is stress-free to clean and the one with a smooth surface to prevent sticking. As for me, I prefer steel stones as they are durable and do not break. However, they are expensive and might be unaffordable to many. Ceramic and clay pizza stones still have their benefits to consider.
I have reviewed these products from a personal point of view and through my experience with the items. I am glad if this article helped you choose the best pizza stone for your needs! What product among the reviewed above do you like the most? Which one would you like to go with? Or maybe you have been successfully using one for a while? Leave a comment and let me know!
Don’t forget to come back to this page as the discussion never stops down below. Comment on what you need to be covered or elaborated on, and you might find it in the next blog. I will be back with a lot more to share!