Best Mandoline Slicer: Find the Great Kitchen Companion
Creating perfect even slices is a chef skill, and many home cooks fail to cut the products in this way. Sure, you can learn how to do it with a knife, but I have a better option. With the best mandoline slicer, you can cut any products fast and easy, and your dishes will look even tastier. Moreover, the taste of some dishes depends on the quality of the slicing. For example, home-made chips or fries require even and precise cutting. That is why the ability to slice things properly can be significant.
There are numerous models you can choose from to fulfill your cooking needs. Many slicers come with interchangeable blades, so you can cut any products in any form. It is very convenient to have multifunctional tools in the kitchen, especially if you are not a professional but an occasional cook.
Also, there are numerous characteristics you have to consider to find the right type of slicer. It is even more challenging for online shoppers. However, I’m ready to help you. In this article, you will find some examples of great slicers, as well as the recommendations for choosing other models.
What Is a Mandoline Slicer?
Let’s start with the definition of the mandoline slicer. This is a kitchen device that is presented in the form of an inclined plane with a cutting blade or blades.You grip the food with the hand guard then push it down the runway, and the blades will cut one slice. Most of the models have a special protective piece for your fingers, which makes these slicers not only convenient but also safe.
With the ability to change blades, you can cut the food in different slices, of various shapes and sizes. There is a wide selection of mandoline models with a variety of sizes and properties, including heavy steel models and French ones with plastic details.
Best Mandoline Slicer: Top Product Selection
- Top Rated Mandoline Slicer with Cut-Resistant Gloves from Grocery Art
- V Slicer Mandoline 5 Piece Set from Swissmar
- Classic Stainless Steel Slicing Mandoline from Bron Coucke
- Japanese Safe Mandoline Slicer from Benriner
- Black Mandolin Cutter from KitchenAid
- Adjustable Japanese Mandoline from Mueller Austria
- Almond Wide Hand Held Mandoline from Benriner
- Stainless Steel Mandoline with Cut-Resistant Gloves from Gramercy Kitchen Company
In this section, you will find mandoline slicer reviews of the top 8 products available on the market today. The list includes different models with a different set of properties. That is why you will most likely find something that will suit your kitchen!
1. Top Rated Mandoline Slicer with Cut-Resistant Gloves from Grocery Art
The adjusting feature here is presented with the blades, which you can set in a particular position to get slices from 1 to 9 mm. They are made of stainless steel that ensures their long-term performance without getting dull. Unlike low-quality alternatives, the Grocery Art products are designed to provide you with a dependable device for seamless cooking.
Another remarkable feature of this slicer is the three-level protection for your hands. While cutting, the foot contacts directly with the blades. But with this device, your hands are safe thanks to the safety set, which includes a pair of large cut-resistant gloves, a food holder, and a blade guard. In my opinion, this top rated mandoline slicer is the best choice for home kitchens.
One drawback here is that the slicer has plastic legs, which are less durable and can break if you push on them harder. This is not a problem if you use a moderate force to cut food, and when the blades are sharp enough.
- Thick steel blades;
- Durable stainless steel shell;
- Adjustable blades;
- Three-level protection;
- Stain and rust-resistant.
- Plastic legs.
2. V Slicer Mandoline 5 Piece Set from Swissmar
The design is convenient in use as you can easily store in it the flat-packed position. All lades are safe in the insert holder while not in use. Also, the cleaning process is simple as well: just rinse it in the sink or place it to the dishwasher. The foldable legs provide the proper position, and the rubber covers make the slicer still while you use it. The product holder serves as a handguard as well, so your fingers are safe.
Despite all the advantages of this v slicer mandoline, I’ve noticed that most of the bad customer feedback include complaints about the poor quality of the plastic elements of this device. The manufacturer reassures us that the plastic is sturdy and the construction is tough, but for sure, it will be less durable compared to the all-steel models, which are more expensive. So, keep this aspect in mind.
- Set includes tough ABS plastic frame, food safety holder, 3 blade inserts, and storage caddy with locking clip
- Includes 7mm blade, 3.5mm blade, and thick/thin reversible slicing blade; slice different thicknesses, julienne, or shred
- Made in Germany, surgical-grade stainless-steel blades are incredibly sharp and snap in and out of base with 1 easy movement
- Tough ABS plastic and surgical-grade steel;
- Provides a variety of cuts;
- Easy to clean;
- Insert holder and handguard;
- Foldable legs.
- There are complaints about the quality of plastic parts.
3. Classic Stainless Steel Slicing Mandoline from Bron Coucke
The construction is designed to meet the comfort needs of a regular person while slicing or cutting. The device has an adjustable stand, which allows the comfort position of the blades. It will work even with hard ingredients like cheese, apples, meat, etc. You can choose the suitable slicing option. The hand-operated levers can regulate the thickness of the slices. Ergonomic design is completed with the plastic handguard, which guarantees the safety of your fingers.
You can count on the quality of this model, as the manufacturer provides a one-year warranty. It is recommended to hand wash this slicer.
The stainless steel mandoline cutter cannot be lightweight. That is why you should keep in mind that it is pretty heavy. A 5-pound device is not very convenient to move around the kitchen all the time. That is why it is better to set the stationary position for this slicer.
- Product Size (W x D x H): 15.6 x 4.0 x 9.4 inches (396 x 102 x 2
- Weight: 5.9 oz (1,790 g)
- Materials: Main unit, ST
- Stainless steel construction;
- Various slicing positions;
- Three distinct blades;
- Hand-operated levers;
- Ergonomic design.
4. Japanese Safe Mandoline Slicer from Benriner
This device is made of the stainless steel blade and the BPA-free plastic material, so it should be both sturdy and safe. The convenience of the construction is implemented into the large handle and the non-slippery base for stable slicing. The plastic handguard provides an additional level of protection.
It separates your fingers from the blades eliminating the possibility of injuries. At the same time, it serves as a product holder, so you can slice fast without worrying about cutting yourself.
Wide blades are designed to cut even wide ingredients into slices without any problems. You will get four blades to get the various results with straight slices, or fine, medium, or course julienning. The thickness is adjustable as well with the easy-turn dial.
This is a pretty standard Japanese mandoline with the typical set of properties as well as issues. For example, in this model, the blades are not stable, and they may bend when you push a bit harder to slice a harder piece. There were also complaints that the steel is too fragile.
- Benriner's Beige Jumbo mandolin slicer easily slices larger fruits and veggies into consistently sized pieces that cook evenly and look great
- Made from handcrafted Japanese Stainless Steel Blade and BPA-free plastic; Large open handle for Comfort with non-skid rubber base for added stability
- Wide straight edge blade cuts larger produce into slices, like cabbage, melon, and more
- Stainless steel blades and BPA-free plastic;
- Non-skid rubber base;
- 4 wide interchangeable blades;
- Adjusting thickness;
- Safety guard and holder.
- Unstable and fragile blades.
5. Black Mandolin Cutter from KitchenAid
The device has two blades for straight slicing and julienning, so you do not need other devices to get these results, only interchangeable blades. The thickness of the slices can be adjusted as well because the slicer offers up to 5 positions for making slices and stripes.
The manufacturer took care of the safety of your user experience. The protective food holder keeps your fingers away from the sharp blades while pushing the food towards them. When the slicer is not in use, you can store it safely with the protective sheath to cover the blades.
It is easy to clean and maintain the details as well. You can wash them in the dishwasher or hand wash them. However, the manufacturer does not recommend to dishwash the julienne storage case and the blade cover.
This safe mandoline slicer can be a good option for your kitchen. However, keep in mind that its construction is not so convenient when you need to slice small veggies or fruits. It operates better with large ones like potatoes or apples.
- Cut your food in 5 different thicknesses: this mandolin slicer is perfect for making precise straight slices and julienne strips in 5 different thicknesses...
- Stainless-steel blades: The slicing Table and cutting blades are made from cutlery-grade stainless steel and are resistant to rusting.
- Built in protection for your hands: The oversized food pusher can accommodate larger fruits and vegetables and will protect your fingers while slicing.
- Stainless steel blades;
- Interchangeable blades;
- Adjustable thicknesses with 5 positions;
- Large food pusher and hand protector;
- Protective sheath included.
- Works better with large vegetables.
6. Adjustable Japanese Mandoline from Mueller Austria
Along with the safety, the slicer is adjustable and multifunctional thanks to the 5 interchangeable blades you can slice, chop, peel and cut to create your cooking masterpieces. There is no need to worry about your fingers, as the handguard will protect them. The thumb dial control regulates the thickness of the pieces. The construction is simple but effective. Moreover, it is easy to clean up.
Another aspect the manufacturer highlights is the affordability of these mandoline models. They believe you do not have to overpay to get the quality product. The opportunity to cook like a professional chef should be available to everyone.
In my honest review of this mandolin cutter, I cannot pass by the customers’ complaints. One of the most common issues was the difficulties with slicing hard products like potatoes or even onions. This upsets me because the slicer should not have such problems.
- ✅ DON’T BE FOOLED BY THE OTHER LOW QUALITY UNDER $25 MODELS – This is a high quality machine built to last a lifetime, unmatched by any model under...
- ✅ NOBODY NEEDS ANOTHER FLIMSY KITCHEN GADGET or has the time to slave away with a knife. This is everything you need in one - with 5 interchangeable...
- ✅ BEST PATENTED DESIGN – We designed the only knob-controlled fully adjustable mandoline slicer giving you more options than any of our competitors....
- Surgical stainless steel blades;
- Non toxic BPA-free ABS plastic;
- 5 interchangeable blades;
- Adjustable construction;
- Ergonomic handguard.
- Issues with slicing the hard veggies.
7. Almond Wide Hand Held Mandoline from Benriner
The first remarkable feature of this slicer is its design. The classical mandoline construction is lightweight and compact to fit into any drawer. At the same time, it is durable and will handle any tough vegetable. The slicer is of the medium size, so it is convenient for working with medium-sized veggies as well. The stability is provided by the rubber layer and the ergonomic handle, which allows fixing the slicer in one position while at work.
With the thickness control, you can adjust the size of the slices and cut the ingredient in the required way. There are three levels you can choose from. Your hands will be protected with the handguard, which also holds the object while you slice it.
This hand held mandoline has many advantages and performs a decent Japanese quality. However, I do not get why there is no user manual in English. Sure, we, as customers, will get the main idea of how to use it. But for some detailed instructions, we usually go to the manual.
- Sturdy but light design;
- Double-bevel blade;
- Safe but simple handguard;
- Rubber stand and a handle for a secure grip;
- Adjustable thickness.
- The manual is written in Japanese.
8. Stainless Steel Mandoline with Cut-Resistant Gloves from Gramercy Kitchen Company
Despite the fact that there are a few blades, you can have the basic slicing options like slicing or julienning, and you can adjust the thickness of pieces in both cases. The manufacturer warns about the blades’ sharpness, so for additional protection, you will have a pair of cut-resistant gloves, along with the hand-guard holder.
Cleaning and maintaining is not a problem. Blades and dial are recommended for hand-washing, while other parts of the device are dishwasher safe. Use the blade guard while storing the slicer.
I cannot name any drastic flaws of this slicing mandoline. However, in my opinion, it is a bit overpriced. And you can expect a wider selection of blades and slicing options for this price. But if you are ready to pay for a solid and durable device for your kitchen, this can be your choice.
- WHILE OTHER MANDOLINE SLICERS CAN BE DANGEROUS AND EVEN SLICE YOUR FINGERS, ours is the ONLY mandoline that comes with what you need for safely slicing...
- WHEN OTHER SLICERS BREAK, DULL, BEND OR CHIP, our blade is extremely sharp, TOP GRADE 4CR15 stainless steel unlikely to chip, dull or bend. Other slicers...
- Our ADJUSTABLE BLADE dial ends fumbling for accessories and storage headaches. No hunting through your kitchen junk drawer for your favorite blade! All...
- Extremely sharp blades and solid construction;
- Durable black plastic accents;
- Adjustable thickness;
- Easy to store and maintain;
- Cut-resistant gloves.
- Limited blade selection;
Buyer’s Guide on the Best Mandoline Slicer
I understand that you might not find a suitable option on my list. For such cases, I’ve prepared the guide for choosing the mandoline slicer that will be right for you. Below you will get the basic information you need to know.
Types of mandoline slicers
While choosing mandolines, you have to keep in mind that there are different types of slicers with some differences.
This is a common mandoline slicer, which is popular among professionals and students of cooking schools. This device has a stainless steel surface with sturdy construction. The blades are straight and interchangeable.
This mandoline model is an improved version of the French one. It is lighter and cheaper in most cases. The blades here are usually diagonal, which makes the cutting process easier and cleaner.
These slicers are great for cutting soft fruits and vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, etc. As it is clear from the name, these mandolines have V-shapes blades, which are convenient for cutting neat pieces.
How to choose the best mandoline slicer
In this section, you will learn what aspects to consider in every mandoline model before the purchase whether it is a small mandoline slicer or a professional device.
Usability, practical size and shape
You can choose from the handheld models and the free-standing ones. The first ones are usually more compact, and you can place them directly above the bowl. The standing models are used mostly by professionals, and they are safer and have a wider selection of cutting properties. The French mandolines are pretty big but more professional, while the Japanese ones are smaller and good for a home kitchen.
There are three types of blade shapes: straight, diagonal, and V-shaped. Straight type is good for tough products, but they can crush soft fruits and veggies. For more tender products, the diagonal blades will be better. And V-shaped blades can be used in both cases, but they are better at slicing soft ingredients as well.
Material and attachments
The blades are usually made of stainless steel, while the entire construction of the mandoline can be plastic, wooden, steel, or even made of fiberglass. All of these materials are durable enough, but they define the price. All-steel models are better for heavy-duty and frequent cutting, like in the restaurants. While for home use, you can buy a plastic model.
Define what type of cuts you will need, and this aspect will define what blades and attachments you will need. Some mandolines come with the sets of attachments, while in other cases, you need to look for compatible ones and purchase them separately.
Safety and budget
Check whether the mandoline has a handguard or other option to protect your fingers. Also, make sure that the slicer will be still during the cutting, and it will not slip, injuring your hands. For safe storage, there should be a special blade holder.
If the price is not an issue, go ahead with the all-steel slicers. But in most cases, people want something with a moderate price, and this is when they can consider mandolines with a plastic or wooden base.
Make the Most of the Best Mandoline Slicer
A lot of professional chefs and home cooks admit that with kitchen mandolines, the cooking process can be much easier. Sharp blades and the thought-though construction allow achieving the right slices or cuts without much effort. I just recommend you to pick the mandoline wisely to make the most of it. Use the tips and offers from this article to make the right choice.
Have you already tried the mandoline slicer? What are your thoughts about this device? Do you have any additional recommendations? Share your thoughts in the comments.