Since childhood, I’ve always been a pizza-making enthusiast. I tried to cook in different methods, as I have not always had access to specialized pizza-making equipment. As days passed by, I work with a grill and have to get new tools to go with this.
While in my quick visit to Italy back in 2014, I had the opportunity to use a specialized pizza oven and realized I needed different peels to prepare pizza. Having tried several pizza-making methods, I have used varying peels, and this has contributed significantly to my expertise in efficiently making healthy and delicious pizzas.
Firstly, pizza peels are essential as they help in maintaining the shape of the pizza when placing on a grill or in an oven. It should allow for easy slide of the pizza onto the intended surface to preserve the structure, otherwise, using bare hands to do this would deform it. The length of the handle is also a significant concern when dealing with large ovens. It is essential to have a tool that can reach the furthest end of the stove without risking burns. In this review, I will highlight the advantages and disadvantages of the best pizza peels that I’ve used so far.
Top 9 Pizza Peels – Picking the Right Pizza Peel
Depending on the pizza-making method used, some pizza peels might be suitable and others not. Considerable thought is to be taken when selecting the tool if one is to make delicious pizzas that are not deformed and to prevent hand burns. Noteworthy, an essential step in preparing pizzas is always to dust the peels to prevent gluing of the dough. Here’s an overview of my favorite pizza peels shortlisted from an extensive list of tools I’ve used over the years.
1. Chef Pomodoro Aluminum Pizza Peel with Foldable Wood Handle
The Chef Pomodoro Aluminum Pizza pill is a top-quality tool used by many pizzaiolos. The peel has a sleek design, and one of the most conspicuous features about it is the safety back step that prevents the pizza from sliding backward off the blade when picking it. It has an aluminum plate, which is very slippery, therefore making the placement of pizzas on ovens, and plates smooth and easy. Another ingenious feature is the foldable wooden handle.
The handle can be turned at an angle of 180° to prevent breaking and facilitate easy storage. Also, the wooden material used serves as an insulator against too much heat. With a length of 12 inches and a width of 14 inches, the peel has an ideal size to hold both small and large-sized pizzas. However, this peel has a considerably short handle, and it would be challenging to reach the furthest ends of large ovens with it. On that note, I recommend it to individuals with grills and both small, and mid-sized ovens. Here are the pluses and minuses of this tool.
- ✅ Aluminum Head with Foldable Wooden Handle, measuring 12-inch wide by 14-inch long with a 10-inch foldable handle. Total length when fully extended is...
- ✅ Made of commercial grade aluminium and all natural pine wood, the Aluminum Metal Pizza Peel Paddle is the perfect tool and companion in baking and...
- ✅ Transfer pizzas, delicate breads, cakes, pies, pastries into an oven, wood fired oven or grill to keep from burning your baker's hand from the oven or...
- It has a safety back step to prevent backward sliding of pizza
- It has a foldable handle for easy storage
- It has a wide plate ideal for carrying small and large pizzas
- It has a strong aluminum blade
- It is a little pricy
- It is considerably short handle
2. The Ultimate Aluminum Pizza Peel – Top Pizza Peels Wooden Equipment
The Ultimate Aluminum Pizza Peel no only features a sleek design, but also has a back and sidestep that holds the pizza from falling sideways or backward off the blade. This high-performance tool has a blade made of aluminum, which has been glazed with a non-stick substance, which is safe as the FDA approves it for use in kitchenware. The blade surface has divots, which prevent gluing of the dough for smooth placement on the oven deck.
This means one does not have to sprinkle a lot of flour on the peel to prevent sticking. It also features a wooden handle that is fixed to the blade at an elevated angle for efficient access to oven ends. The handle serves as a safety feature as it insulates against the extreme heat inside the oven. The 14-inch blade is perfect for carrying large pizzas. I recommend it to both pizzaiolos and rookie pizza makers. Below is a summary of the merits and drawbacks.
- ✅ TAKES THE HASSLE OUT OF BAKING PIZZA: Advance design allows experienced cooks and novices alike to get the pizza in and out of the oven with ease. No...
- ✅ SAFER THAN REGULAR WOOD & METAL PEELS: Unlike pure wood, which must be cleaned, maintained and dried very well (otherwise unpleasant things will grow...
- ✅ NO NEED FOR EXCESSIVE FLOUR: Unlike traditional metal or wooden spatula, there is no need for excessive flour, since special divots on nano-ceramic...
- It has a back step to prevent unintended sliding of pizzas
- It has a long, elevated handle for easy access to all parts of the oven deck
- The blade has divots to inhibit gluing of the dough
- It is somewhat pricy
3. BHG American Metalcraft 3512 35.5″ Aluminum Pizza Peel
The American Metalcraft 3512 35.5″ pizza peel is a convenient tool for lifting pizzas, especially when baking in a large oven, thanks to the 19” handle, which makes it comfortable to safely reach the extreme ends of the oven. Also, it has a considerably large plate that measures 12 inches by 14 inches, and this gives it just the perfect size for carrying large pizzas.
The pizza peels aluminum blade offers little resistance to sliding of pizzas after a bit of dusting with flour has been done beforehand, and therefore is essential in maintaining their shapes. One drawback is that there are chances of dropping pizzas when using this peel as it lacks a back step for holding them in place. Here’s a summary of the positive features and demerits associated with the peel.
- Easily slide out pizzas with 14-gauge aluminum blade
- 19" wooden handle offers comfortable grip and ensures safety
- Durable 12" x 14" aluminum blade is perfect for making medium-sized pizzas
- It is one of the best pizza oven peels owing to the long handle
- Has a high-quality aluminum plate that facilitates smooth sliding of pizza onto the oven deck and trays
- The insulative wooden handle ensures the safety of the user when using the peel
- It is one of the cheap pizza peels in the market
- It does not have a back step for securing pizza in place
4. Bamboo Wooden Pizza Peel Paddle – One of the Best Wood Pizza Peels
The Bamboo Wooden Pizza Peel is a superior quality all wooden tool that is best used as a prep peel. One of the things I love about this tool is that it is strong. I’ve had bad experiences with several poorly crafted aluminum peels which on different occasions fell pizzas owing to the weak blades.
It has dimensions of 21 by 13.5 by 13.5 inches, so you can comfortably carry large pizzas without the risk of them falling. The only structural downside I can think of is that it is a little bit short handle, which can make it challenging to safely reach the furthest parts of the oven deck. Look at the listed pros and cons of the peel.
- MULTI-PURPOSE FUNCTIONALITY: Our premium, bamboo wooden pizza peel and cutting board is versatile. In addition to helping get your pizzas in and out of the...
- NON-TOXIC, ECO-FRIENDLY, FULLY CERTIFIED: Our wooden pizza peel paddles and cutting board is completely safe and non-toxic. It is certified with all...
- PERFECT SIZE: Our XL Extra Large Size has a total length from the tip of the handle to tip of the peel of 21 3/4", the peel is the perfect size and length...
- It has a big surface for the safe carrying of large pizzas
- It is strong and not susceptible to breakages
- It is non-toxic and safe regarding human health
- It offers multipurpose use
- It may warp as a result of cleaning
- It has a somewhat short handle
5. Kitchen Supply 12-Inch x 14-Inch Aluminum Pizza Peel with Wood Handle
This efficient pizza peel by Kitchen Supply is one of the most useful tools you can find. It is made of an aluminum plate. The surface offers minimal friction and allows for a smooth slide of the pizza onto the grill or oven. The plate has dimensions of 12” by 14”, and this makes it ideal for carrying small, medium, and large-sized pizzas.
Another incredible feature is the wooden handle. Wood is a poor conductor of heat, and therefore this insulates preventing the pizza maker from being burnt. This tool has a considerably long handle, which is long enough to allow access to the furthest end of an oven. Considering that the most distant parts are often the hottest, the long handle makes it possible to place pizzas without being burnt.
I love this tool because it always feels smooth when picking pizzas and sliding them in the oven. On that note, I recommend this tool for use when making pizzas in the oven owing to the long handle. Here are the selling points and the disadvantages of the tool.
- Aluminum head
- Rounded corners
- Overall length 22 inches
- It has a large plate to carry small, middle and large-sized pizzas
- It is made of aluminum which allows smooth sliding of pizzas
- It has a long handle for reaching the furthest ends of ovens
- The handle is made of wood for efficient insulation
- It is considerably pricy
- It does not have a safe back step
6. Checkeredchef Stainless Steel Pizza Peel with Folding Handle
The Checkered Chef Stainless Steel pizza peel is one of the cheap pizza peels around. Its thin yet strong blade makes it easy to lift pizzas off the oven deck without the risk of deforming or dropping them. The foldable handle makes for easy storage of the tool, as all one needs to do to lift the handle forwards. It also has a rubbed-made handle which offers a comfortable grip and safe insulation from extreme heat.
Also, the handle is considerably long, making it convenient to access all parts of oven decks. The 9” by 13.5” blade is ideal for carrying small and medium-sized pizzas. Another factor that saw this tool, making it to my top nine peels is the sturdiness to withstand warping tendencies. Unlike in wooden and many aluminum peels, the Checkered Chef Stainless Steel Pizza peel will retrain its flatness even after a long period of washing. I have used this tool for making pizzas using a grill and also an oven. Here are the peel’s merits and demerits.
- Easy Peeling and Cleaning: This thin metal pizza peel makes it easier than ever to get your pie out of the oven and onto the plate. And they are dishwasher...
- Multi Use: This spatula isn't just for pizza - use this bakers peel for indoor or outdoor ovens, or as an extra large turner for barbeque! The options are...
- Simple Storage: This pizza spatula paddle is unique in its design. When done, simply fold the handle up and store. These pizza paddles also make great...
- Has a thin but strong blade convenient for lifting heavy pizzas
- Has long rubber-made handle for reaching all parts of the oven deck
- It has a foldable handle for storage convenience
- It is rather cheap
- Has a somewhat small knife inconvenient for carrying large pizzas
7. Artaste 32352 Aluminum Pizza Peel with Folding Handle – Peels Pizza Making Equipment
The Artaste 32352 Aluminium pizza peel is a classy-looking pizza lifting tool made of aluminum for the blade part and wood for the handle part. The handle conveniently folds and can be detached to allow for appropriate storage and even for ease of cleaning. Noteworthy, the blade is perforated, and this ensures that no much flour goes to be wasted when dusting the blade to avoid sticking of the dough.
I also love it as it is light but strong enough to carry large pizzas, thanks to the 12” by 14” large blade size. The only downside I would point out is the short handle, and this makes it unsafe when making pizzas in large ovens. Other than that, the Artatste 32352 is a great tool for us by both novice and experienced pizza makers.
- Stay-cool hardwood handle ensures a secure grip as you transfer your pizzas
- Perforated blade help you quickly remove excess cornmeal or flour from your pizza crust
- Convenient folding handle simplifies storage
- Features a perforated blade for minimal use of floor to avoid sticking of the dough
- It has a foldable handle for easy storage
- The handle can be detached from the blade to allow easy cleaning
- It is ideal for carrying large-sized pizzas
- Has a somewhat short handle therefore not ideal for use in large ovens
- It is pricy
8. Acacia Wood Pizza Peel with Cutter – Best Metal Pizza Peels
The Acacia Wood Pizza peel is an all-wooden pizza-lifting tool designed to deliver high performance for a long. This durable tool tapered edges to allow easy and smooth lifting of pizzas without interfering with their shape. Considering that it is made of wood, this makes it best for use as a prep peel rather than an oven peel.
It’s one of my favorites because it has a large surface of 19 inches by 12 inches, therefore, making it perfect for carrying big-sized pizzas. However, it has a somewhat short handle and thus might be challenging to use in a large oven. Again, one of the most common disadvantages of wooden peels is that this Acacia wood pizza peel is prone to warping over time owing to water sipping into the wood. Other than that, the peel is an excellent tool with high durability, and I would recommend it any time. Here are its pros and cons.
- WITH PIZZA CUTER: This wooden pizza board will be sent to you with one free pizza cutter. This pizza making set provides you with everything needed to...
- MULTI-PURPOSE: The possibilities for this paddle board don't just end with pizzas. Use it for placing and removing bread and other baking goods to and from...
- SIZED JUST RIGHT: our pizza shovel size is 19*12" and weight 2.4LB. It’s sturdy but not too heavy to hold even when topped with your homemade or shop...
- It is perfect for use as a prep peel
- Has a large surface for the easy lifting of large pizzas
- It features a smoothened edge making it convenient to lift pizzas off surfaces
- It is sturdy and therefore offers durable
- It is susceptible to warping over time as a result of cleaning
- It is somewhat costly
9. Pizzacraft Pizza Peel with Folding Wood Handle – Top Pizza Peels
Pizzacraft Pizza peel is a budget tool that offers excellent performance despite its low price range. It has a stainless steel blade that is resistant to bending, and this makes for easy lifting of pizzas without deforming them. The foldable wooden handle goes a long way in facilitating easy storage of the tool.
An essential design feature is a backward step, which helps to hold the pizza in place without sliding backward. I love to use this peel when making pizzas using a grill as its features make this method ideal. The major drawback I would point out is the somewhat small size of the blade, which makes the peel not perfect for use when lifting large pizzas. Let’s look at its merits and the downsides.
- Easily Transfer Pizza, Bread, and Other Food In and Out of Oven or Grill
- Much Easier to Store Than Most Peels Since Locking Handle Can Be Turned Down To Save Space
- Stainless Steel Peel and Hardwood Handle
- It has a back step for holding the pizza in place
- It is rather cheap
- Has a foldable handle to facilitate easy storage
- The blade is made of strong stainless steel that offers longevity
- Has a short blade not ideal for large ovens
- Has a medium-sized blade not ideal for large pizzas
How to Use a Metal Pizza Peel?
|Kitchen Supply Aluminum Pizza Peel||Chef Pomodoro Aluminum Metal Pizza Peel with Foldable Wood Handle||Bamboo Wooden Pizza Peel Paddle||The Ultimate Aluminum Pizza Peel||Checkeredchef Stainless Steel Pizza Peel With Folding Handle|
|Product Dimensions: 26 x 12 x 14 inches||Product Dimensions: 25 x 14 x 1 inches||Product Dimensions: 21.8 x 13.5 x 0.5 inches||Product Dimensions: 24 x 14 x 4 inches||Product Dimensions: 2 x 15.9 x 9.8 inches|
|Item Weight: 1.85 pounds||Item Weight: 1.76 pounds||Item Weight: 2 pounds||Item Weight: 1.32 pounds||Item Weight: 1.67 pounds|
|Shopping Weight: 1.85 pounds||Shopping Weight: 1.81 pounds||Shopping Weight: 2.55 pounds||Shopping Weight: 1.92 pounds||Shopping Weight: 1.8 pounds|
|Manufacturer: Honey-Can-Do||Manufacturer: POMODORO||Manufacturer: Frederica Trading||Manufacturer: Love This Want This||Manufacturer: Checkered Chef|
|American Metalcraft Aluminum Pizza Peel with Wood Handle||Artaste Stainless Steel Fish Spatula with Solid Wood Handle||Acacia Wood Pizza Peel With Cutter||Pizzacraft Pizza Peel With Folding Wood Handle For Easy Storage|
|Product Dimensions: 2.9 x 12 x 0.2 inches||Product Dimensions: 12 x 2.8 x 0.8 inches||Product Dimensions: 19.1 x 12 x 0.6 inches||Product Dimensions: 2.4 x 9.8 x 27.3 inches|
|Item Weight: 1 pounds||Item Weight: 3.2 ounces||Item Weight: 2.55 pounds||Item Weight: 1.85 pounds|
|Shopping Weight: 1.4 pounds||Shopping Weight: 4.8 ounces||Shopping Weight: 2.55 pounds||Shopping Weight: 1.85 pounds|
|Manufacturer: American Metalcraft||Manufacturer: New Star Foodservice||Manufacturer: Minda Bamboo&Wood Industry||Manufacturer: Charcoal Companion|
Which Brand Is Your Favorite Pizza Peel?
Having gone through the merits and demerits of the pizza peel models above, it is essential to pick one depending on the equipment you’re using to prepare the pizza. If you are using a regular grill, a peel with shorthand is a cool option as you can place pizzas on the grill easily and safely.
However, people using large ovens need to have peels with longer handles as it is not safe to reach inside the oven owing to the risk of getting burnt. In addition, if you are making large pizzas commercially, large peels will get the job done, as you do not want to drop them while carrying them to or from the oven. If you’ve used any of the above pizza peels before, share your thoughts and preferences below. What do you like the most in the regular pizza peels? What will you pick: long or short ones?